The Laboratory of Human Immunoretrovirology was established by Michel J. Tremblay in 1991. Initially located in small quarters in the P wing of the Centre Hospitalier de l’Université Laval, the laboratory benefited from the construction and moving of the Dr Fernand Labrie’s Centre de Recherche en Endocrinologie Moléculaire in 1997 to transfer its operations in the much more spacious freed rooms. Combining a $4M grant awarded by the Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) to a similar award of $12M received by Dr Fernand Labrie for the construction of the Functional Genomics Center allowed the expansion of the Infectious Diseases Research Center and the construction of an all new 120 square meters level 3 biological containment facility. The Laboratory of Human Immunoretrovirology is expected to move to its new location by the last quarter of 2013.
As a part of the Infectious Diseases Research Center and the CHUQ Research Center, the Laboratory of Human Immunoretrovirology has access to many installations and services which other laboratories cannot offer. In such a multidisciplinary context, the list of installations easily accessible is quite impressive : JEOL™ 1010 60kV electron microscope, Olympus IX71 confocal microscope, Nikon™ Eclipse TE300 fluorescence microscope, Illumina HiSeq 2500 and MiSeq workstations, Bioplex™ workstation , BD FACSCanto cytometer, nucleic acid synthesis and sequencing service, scientific library, and much more. Members of the laboratory of human immunoretrovirology have a priviledged access to a a fully equipped, 120 square meters level 3 biological containment facility.